Thursday, 1 October 2015

Book Review (of a book I can't read): "Super Tailoring" Super Krojenje by Ana Malalan



One night, while searching for some fiction in the library catalog, I had the idea to search for non-English  drafting books, hoping to find a copy some Japanese books such as Drape Drape or Pattern Magic.  While I found several of those, I also found listings for two Chinese books, a Russian book, and this book.  The Chinese books were pretty ...bad... and appear to be knock offs of the simple, loose and cute style patterns in Japanese fashion sewing books.  The Russian book was primarily text for "recipes" of how to draft the sketches shown and while quite interesting, was not the most useful.

And then there was Super Krojenje.  I love this book.  I can't read a single word, but I love it.  According to Google translate it's in Croatian (their email is Slovenian, so I'm not sure), but I really, really hope at some point it gets released in English.

Why do I love it so much?




The illustrations are excellent and the concepts come across very well without any text.  The author does a particularly great job of showing through diagrams how the principles of a 3D geometric shape are transferred into a 2D pattern piece.  The layouts are clear, clean and easy to read (if you read Croatian).


I will be writing to the author to present my interest in an English republication, and I suggest anyone who can find a copy at their library take a look.

Here's a sampler of the book on issu: http://issuu.com/gorances/docs/superkrojenje-web

2 comments:

  1. it is a Slovenian author's book but the book is in Croatian. I have this book, I just got it 4 days ago, my colleagues bought it for my 40th birthday! I am absolutely stunned that it even exists, a local book of this sort. It is a great book, all the pictures/diagrams are wonderfully explained. It is very technical and I am but a beginner sewer, but boy I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear that the text seems to be as helpful as the images. Happy birthday, and I hope you enjoy the read!

      Delete